Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Austria

Guten Tag!

And welcome to today's post on Austria. Austria is a beautiful country filled with things to do and places to see. If you read my previous post on Germany, you will know that I went there quite a lot in 2010-2012, when I lived in the Czech Republic. The same thing applies to Austria. I went to Austria several times with my family, mostly to ski, because Austria has some amazing places to ski in. We also went to Salzburg and Vienna, and really liked both of those cities. The drive from Prague to Vienna was only around 4h and to Salzburg around 5h. This blog post will hopefully give you an idea on what you can do in each of these places. Like I said in my previous post on Germany, travelling in Austria would be a lot easier if you rented a car. 


Obviously when you're in Austria, you have to go skiing. Skiing in the Alps in Austria is absolutely amazing and the views are gorgeous. The slopes are usually good from around November to March and the lift-ticket prices and renting prices aren't that high either. Austria is personally one of my favourite places to ski. Also the accommodation in Austria is not that pricey, especially when you compare it to places like Italy, France and Switzerland.  I will let the pictures talk for themselves on this one, but as always, it is even more gorgeous when you see the views in person. I have gone skiing in Austria three times and enjoyed every time. I also love that it is not that cold (-5 ish), where as if you go skiing in a place like Finland, it is extremely cold (-30 ish).







My family and I went skiing in a place called Kitzbuhel located near Salzburg. The views were absolutely gorgeous and the had skiing slopes suitable for both beginners and more advanced skiers/snowboarders. Kitzbuhel also had a lot of other winter sports/activities, like tobogganing, hiking, cross-country skiing, ice-skating and curling. For example, my mum doesn't ski, but she still really enjoyed the trip there, because of all the different alternative activities that you could choose from.




Another place I would definitely recommend going to in Austria is Salzburg. Salzburg is such a gorgeous city with a lot of old architecture and delicious food. Salzburg might not be the most exciting town to visit for small children, but if your kids are older (13 or above) they might appreciate the historical building etc more. A particular place in Salzburg I would recommend going, is Mozart's birth-house. The ticket to go in costs 17e but the museum is very interesting and you learn a lot about Mozart's roots. If you are a music enthusiast, you will definitely like this place, since Mozart was such a big influence to music. 

Front of Mozart's house 
Another thing to try in Salzburg is Sacher cake. This definitely overpriced cake can be bought in the Hotel Sacher located in downtown Salzburg. The cake is actually originally from Vienna, and was created by a man called Franz Sacher in 1832. 

Sacher cake 


That is all I have for you today on Austria, hopefully this post helped some of you to figure out things to do. 

As always, leave your comments in the comment section below!

Thank you for reading,

Karoliina 

No comments:

Post a Comment