Monday, December 14, 2015

Shanghai pt II

你好 (Ni hao),
 
Once again. Today's blogpost will be fairly short, mainly focusing on dining/eating in Shanghai in general. 

As I said in my last post, I have lived in China for about a year and a half now, and I have probably eaten out here more than I ever have during my entire life. Restaurants in Shanghai are a lot cheaper compared to, for example, European restaurants. Also the fact that next to my house is a mall, literally filled with restaurants, might be why me and my family and friends go there nearly every weekend... 

Shanghai is a very international city. Whatever you feel like eating, you will definitely find it here. Italian, Japanese, Taiwanese, Thai, German cousine; Shanghai has it all. Of course, when you come visit China, I suppose you would want to eat Chinese food to taste actual CHINESE food instead of 'American Chinese' food, like Panda Express. 

Chinese restaurants can be found all around Shanghai. Personally, I have only been to one Chinese restaurant in Shanghai (weird, I know right) which was a really expensive restaurant called Lost Heaven. The food there was amazing and definitely worth the price. But if you would like to go somewhere cheaper, just walk around downtown Shanghai and you will definitely find something :) 

DISCLAIMER: Remember to take a look at the food safety notification. This tells you the rating the government (or the people who take care of the safety of food in Shangai) has given the specific restaurant. Usually, if the restaurant has the red sad face rating, you probably shouldn't eat there, since the food doesn't come from a safe source. The food safety notification can be found here.

As for Western restaurants, my personal favourite is Blue Frog. Blue Frog is a fairly cheap restaurant chain in China and the restaurants can be found all around Shanghai. Blue Frog is widely known for their burgers and fajitas, but also has some nice salads. If you are in Shanghai for holiday and are craving something 'homely', this is the place to go. Blue Frog also has a good kids menu and most restaurants have a kids' play area. Me and my family go to Blue Frog all the time, and so far no one has gotten bored of it :)

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you go to a Chinese restaurant that is not very known, they might not speak English. It is good to either have a translator on your mobile-phone, or a Chinese-speaking person with you when you go to these restaurants, since the menu might be all Chinese, without pictures. 

I put together a few phrases that can be used in the restaurant, which might be useful (keep in mind that I have only done Chinese for 1,5 years so my Chinese isn't that good) 

number + 位 (wèi) = how many people 
你的最好菜是什么? (ni de zui hao cai shi shen me) = What is your best dish?
青睐 (qing lai) = please, can we have / can you bring?
谢谢 (xie xie) = thank you 
再见 (zai jian) = bye bye


I hope this helped at least some of you, and as always leave comments down in the comment section below for improvements! 

Thank you for reading,

Karoliina 



No comments:

Post a Comment